Tourism

Jaladurga Falls

                 Jaladurga  is a fortified village in Raichur district in the Indian state of Karnataka about 20 km northeest of Lingsugur town. The Adil Shahi Kings of Bijapur built the fort. Meadows Taylor has given a fine description of this fort in his book, "Noble Queen" (1874)

                The Krishna River cascades down here and is known as the Jaladurga Falls.

                This is one of the famous tourist destinations in this region. It has natural beauty 

                 with  thrilling views.

MASKI

           Maski, in Lingsugur taluk, situated 17 miles south-east of Lingsugur and 72 miles south-west of Raichur, on the right bank of a river of the same name, which is a tributary of the Tungabhadra, is highly interesting from the points of view of prehistory and protohistory. It must have been a town of considerable size and importance in the remote past, as is evident from the traces of its iron and gold workings covering a large area, and from the references made to it in a number of inscriptions ranging from the 10th to the 16th century A.D.

                 Maski has proved to be one of the most important prehistoric sites in the district. As early as 1888, Bruce Foote, who collected various kinds of Neolithic implements and artifacts, which are now exhibited in the prehistoric section of the Madras museum, visited the place. Later, when Mr.G.Yazdani, the then Director of Archaeology of the erstwhile Hyderabad state, visited the place in 1935-36, he was struck by the abundance of artifacts, which he noticed on the surface of some sites. Among these sites, the so called fields of Sultan Muhammad were found to be particularly rich in antiquities. According to Yazdani, these fields constitute the site of the old town of Maski, access to which from the river-side was through a gorge amidst a ring of hills which surround the site. The hills have several spurs, the highest of which has Shaivite temple which, from its architecture, appears to be of the 13th century A.D. On two other spurs near the gorge, are two other temples – one goldsmiths’ and the other weavers’. Weaving and gold-smelting are still the principal industries of the place.

 This page is maintained by Sri Jagadeesh Biradaar TMC Lingasugur

Last Update:16/02/2012

 

 

 

 

 

No. Of Visitors :
Last Updated   : 31/10/2014 Release History
Release 2.0.0, Powered By Karnataka Municipal Data Society & maintained by Lingasugur TMC
This website can best viewed with the resolution 1024 * 768 using Internet Explorer 7.0 or above.
Valid CSS!